In case you haven’t noticed, I love me some bacon. Don’t believe me? Check out my Bacon and Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms, Salted Caramel Bacon Monkey Bread, Bacon Upside-Down Cornbread, Praline Bacon, or Bacon Wrapper Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Tenders for a few examples. There’s just something about that smoky, salty, bacony goodness that gets me each and every time.
That’s why this Tomato Bacon Pasta has been in the rotation ever since Heather came home with the recipe years back. I’ve, of course, put my own little spin on it and simplified things a bit.
The acid from the tomatoes is the perfect complement to the smoky bacon.
This amazing dish serves as a stellar side but works as a main dish as well. For even more protein, you could add in some grilled chicken if you’re looking to make this the star of supper.
With only 5 ingredients (6 if you count the salt), it’s pretty easy to get made, too. I just know y’all are going to love it as much as we do!
Tomato and Bacon Pasta
- 1 (16-ounce) box bowtie pasta
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves, garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- salt to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Fry the bacon to crispy, drain, then crumble. Set aside.
- Drain away all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook in the bacon grease until the onion is translucent - 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with the juice and stir well. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the crumbled bacon and mix well. Add the pasta and toss to coat in the sauce. Serve hot.