A simple cucumber and onion salad that combines flavors of sweet onion and tart vinegar to create a beloved, quick and easy recipe.
Need a quick, simple, easy, but delicious side dish? This is the one for you! Often times when we think of quick and easy, that means that quality and flavor suffer. But, with this delicious Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad, that’s just not the case. Every time I make this stuff, I end up eating about half of it before supper time. It’s kind of like potato chips… once you start munching, you look down and WHOOPS! Half the bag is gone.
What is cucumber salad?
Primarily a summer side salad, cucumber salad consists of thin slices of fresh cucumber as the anchor with sweet onion typically added in. Then it is coated in a dressing – usually a vinaigrette or creamy dressing, like sour cream or even ranch. (Find my creamy version here.) Typically an acidic ingredient is added in, like vinegar or lemon juice. Some like to add herbs and spices, like dill, garlic, or parsley.
Cucumber salad is popular during the heat of summer and the height of harvest season for cucumbers. The refreshing, crispy, cool features of the cucumber salad make it a great pairing for backyard barbecues and potlucks. Bonus, it’s also relatively healthy when it comes to nutrition!
Red Onion – For a little more zing and spice in your cucumber salad recipe, consider replacing Vidalia onions with red onions.
Apple Cider Vinegar – If you need to lower the acidity or want to make your salad sweet, apple cider vinegar is a great alternative to white vinegar.
Herbs – You really can dress up this salad and add more flavor by adding in all kinds of herbs and spices. Dill and parsley make great additions to this recipe. Just be sure to add a little at a time so you don’t over do it. This cucumber salad is already filled with flavor so you want to be careful not to make the taste too overpowering.
Ranch – Maybe you want a creamier version of this cucumber salad. No problem! Simply replace the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and garlic with 1/2 cup of your favorite ranch dressing.
Cucumbers – I love this recipe made with Kirby or pickling cucumbers, but English cucumbers work as well.
Simple Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 5 or 6 small pickling cucumbers (you can use 2 or 3 English cucumbers if that’s all you can get your hands on)
- 1/2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- black pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers and slice to your liking. Peel and slice onion. Combine in a large bowl.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and garlic and pour over cucumbers and onions.
- Allow to sit at least an hour before serving. Sprinkle with black pepper (optional).
* If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. The values do not include optional ingredients or when ingredients are added to taste. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.