Summers in the south are hotter than Satan’s armpit. So, for me, that means adding some cool and refreshing sides to summer mainstays like ribs and pulled pork. Cole slaw, corn salad, and other things like this AMAZING Creamy Cucumber Salad are just the ticket. The cool and creamy flavors pair well with bbq and help to keep you cool, too! And this dish gets extra pints because it’s crazy easy!
I’m really a big fan of using these Kirby cucumbers for this dish. They’re also called pickling cucumbers. I just prefer the flavor and texture of them for this recipe.
If you can’t put your hands on some, don’t worry. Two or three of the larger slicing or English cucumbers will work just fine.
One thing of note here on the prep: To remove some of the moisture in the cucumbers, you’ll need salt them. That salt draws the excess moisture out. This is an important step if you want to ensure you don’t end up with runny dressing.
BUT, if it’s something you’re going to eat immediately and probably won’t have any leftovers, you can skip this step if you wish. This short video gives you a little more detail. Just note that in this recipe, there’s no need to rinse the excess salt away after the cucumbers drain.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 to 4 Kirby pickling cucumbers
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Peel and thinly slice cucumbers. Sprinkle them with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and place them in a colander in the sink. Allow the salt to draw out the excess moisture for about 30 minutes.
- Make the dressing by combining, the sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and fresh dill and mix well.
- Once the cucumbers have drained, shake off the excess moisture and combine them with the dressing in a large bowl. Refrigerate until serving.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.