July 4th is just around the corner and if the weather from this last week is any indication, it’s going to be hotter than Satan’s armpit. So, for me, that means adding some cool and refreshing sides to main July 4th mainstays like ribs and pulled pork. Cole slaw, corn salad, and other things like this AMAZING Creamy Cucumber Salad are just the ticket. The cool and creamy flavors pair well with bbq and help to keep you cool, too!
I’m really a big fan of using these Kirby cucumbers for this dish. They’re also called pickling cucumbers. I just prefer the flavor and texture of them for this type of dish. If you can’t put your hands on some, don’t worry. Two or three of the larger slicing or English cucumbers will work just fine.
One thing of note here on the prep: To remove some of the moisture in the cucumbers, I have you salt them and that salt draws the moisture out. This is an important step if you want to ensure you don’t end up with runny dressing. BUT, if it’s something you’re going to eat immediately and probably won’t have any leftovers, you can skip this step if you wish. This short video gives you a little more detail. Just note that in this recipe, there’s no need to rinse the excess salt away after the cucumbers drain.
Just like the cool and refreshing flavors in this Creamy Cucumber Salad, the cool and refreshing taste of Mike’s Hard Lemonade, makes it the perfect adult beverage at your July 4th get-together. Y’all enjoy!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 to 4 Kirby pickling cucumbers
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Peel and thinly slice cucumbers. Sprinkle them with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and place them in a colander in the sink. Allow the salt to draw out the excess moisture for about 30 minutes.
- Make the dressing by combining, the sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and fresh dill and mix well.
- Once the cucumbers have drained, shake off the excess moisture and combine them with the dressing in a large bowl. Refrigerate until serving.