These potatoes are good enough for company but easy enough for family. The fresh potatoes are a great departure from the typical hash brown casserole and offer a different texture and flavor. The grating is totally worth the extra effort.
- 6 Idaho potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Ranch dressing mix (not pictured)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (also not pictured, sorry!)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Peel and grate potatoes on the large side of a box grater.
- Combine potatoes, cheese, mushroom soup, garlic powder, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and Ranch dressing mix in a large bowl. Mix well. (Note on Ranch dressing mix: I use a small canister of ranch dressing mix that you can now buy. If you do not have one of these puppies, you can just use about 2 tablespoons out of a packet mix. A packet mix contains about 3 tablespoons, so you won’t need it all.)
- Turn out into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.