As with all my previous cakes, this one relies on a boxed cake mix to make it super quick and easy, but trust me when I say… no one will know! The delicious strawberry and caramel flavors permeate the whole cake to create a delicious dessert that’s perfect topped with some whipped cream or even a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Keep in mind, you’ll need to have a well-seasoned 10.5-inch cast iron skillet for this one and you’ll want to turn that cake out pretty much immediately after it coming out of the oven. We don’t want to give the caramel too much time to firm up and stick to the pan. If you don’t have a suitable cast iron skillet, a 10-inch cake pan or springform pan will work, too. Just melt the butter and brown sugar together in sauce pan and pour it into the baking pan. Y’all enjoy!
Strawberry Upside-Down Cake
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) package fresh strawberries
- 1 (15.25-ounce) yellow or butter cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Wash, core, and slice each of the strawberries in half.
- In a well-seasoned, 10.5 inch cast iron skillet, heat 1/2 cup butter and the brown sugar over medium heat until butter is melted; stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the strawberries in the skillet, carefully pressing them into the caramel mixture.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter and add it to a large bowl with the cake mix, water, and eggs. Mix well.
- Pour the cake batter over the strawberries.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately cover pan with a platter and invert. Serve warm, topped with whipped cream, if desired.
This recipe was featured on Weekend Potluck.