If your kitchen is like mine, then you know what I mean when I say that oven space is at a premium around the holidays – especially when it comes to Thanksgiving. That big bird takes up a lot of room!
That’s why I started doing my Cornbread Dressing in the slow cooker several years ago. It works great because it frees up valuable oven space and the slow cooker method always yields dressing that is super moist and delicious. It’s also super easy. And who couldn’t use a little “easy” when it comes to preparing a big ol’ meal like Thanksgiving?
You even still get that golden brown crunchiness around the edge. But if you like the top of your dressing a little more toasted, you can pop it under the broiler for a just a few minutes to get it more golden. Just keep in mind that you’ll need to make sure that the crock from your slow cooker is oven safe. We certainly don’t want any culinary mishaps on an important day like Thanksgiving. (Be sure to read the post at that link if you want a laugh!)
Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing
- 8 cups crumbled cornbread
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Spray the crock of a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.My recipe doesn't include sage or poultry seasoning, because my family has never included it. If you want to include it, I'd reccomend starting with 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning and adding more to taste.