The minute I see that first case of Florida strawberries arrive in the grocery store, my mind immediate switches into spring mode – imagining all I can do with those sweet little babies. This urge got strengthened a few weeks back when we had a delicious Florida strawberry tasting as part of Food Blog Forum at Walt Disney World. It was so neat to have several different varieties there together so we could taste the difference!
I just love strawberries… from my Strawberry Cobbler, and Strawberry Bread, to Fresh Strawberry Pie. So, based on the success of my Oreo Delight and Lemon Icebox Delight, here’s a Strawberry version that I just know you’ll love! The crunchy shortbread crust, combined with the creamy cream cheese layer, and the sweet, delicious strawberries makes this one a real winner! It’s one of those things, too, that seems to get better over time. Y’all enjoy!
- 1 (16-ounce) container fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed (I use Cool Whip)
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries. Place them in a small bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Cut the butter into the flour and sugar mixture using a pastry blender or two forks until the butter resembles small peas. Pour the flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, spread evenly, and press flat to form the crust. Bake the crust for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 container of the whipped topping. Stir well to combine. Spread the mixture evenly over the cooled crust.
- Next, drain the strawberries. (Be sure to save that delicious syrup for something - even if it's just to drink it all by itself. It's my favorite part of this recipe. 🙂 ) Layer the drained berries evenly on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with the remaining container of whipped topping. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.