This Slow Cooker Bacon Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread is a delicious twist on my classic Sweet Corn Spoon Bread with the addition of cheddar cheese and bacon!
Call it spoon bread, corn casserole, or corn pudding. Spell it spoonbread or spoon bread; it really doesn’t matter to me. I just call it delicious. This simple amalgamation of corn muffin mix, eggs, cream-style corn, whole-kernel corn, and butter is a potluck staple, and it’s always present on my Thanksgiving table. But this deliciousness shouldn’t be relegated to November. No, it’s just as good in April. Or August. Or January.
This Slow Cooker Bacon Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread is a delicious twist on my classic Sweet Corn Spoon Bread with the addition of cheddar cheese and the jewel of Southern cooking… bacon!
What is Spoon Bread?
Spoon bread, in the food world, is like the love child of cornbread and pudding, who decided to rebel against their firm and structured parents. Born in the American South, this delightful concoction is so moist, soft, and fluffy that it politely demands to be scooped out with a spoon, rather than sliced with a knife.
No, it’s not bread throwing a tantrum, insisting on special treatment. It’s just that spoon bread knows its worth in the realm of comfort food and wants to be approached with the appropriate utensil! So, next time you encounter it, remember: no knives, please, just a humble spoon will do.
Can I make this in the oven instead?
I really love the gooey texture that the slow cooker or crock pot gives this dish, but you can certainly make this in the oven.
Simply pour the batter into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish and bake in a 375°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it’s golden brown around the edges and the center is nearly set.
Can I cut this recipe in half?
Sure you can! This recipe is designed to feed a crowd – which makes it perfect for those potlucks I mentioned before. But if you don’t need to feed a ton of folks, this recipe works perfectly when halved. Just keep in mind the cook time might be slightly different.
Slow Cooker Bacon Cheddar Corn Spoon Bread
- 2 (2.8-ounce) boxes JIFFY Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 (2.8-ounce) package cooked bacon pieces (3/4 cup or 10 to 12 slices)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole-kernel corn drained
- 2 (14.75-ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (optional)
- Spray the crock of a 5 to 7-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cornbread mix, bacon, cheese, whole kernel corn, creamed corn, sour cream, butter, eggs, and brown sugar together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until the center is nearly set and the edges are golden brown.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.