Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice

Pin this Post on Pinterest Share on Facebook
Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on YummlyTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon

Slow Cooker Beef Tips

When the temperature heats up, most people put their slow cookers away.  For me, it’s the opposite!  I love using my slow cooker to prepare meals during the hotter months because the old trusty appliance is a great way to get a meal on the table quickly and easily without heating up the entire kitchen.

My version of this Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice is a family favorite because it’s so easy and hearty.  Dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to the delicious smells of dinner ready-to-eat.  I also love to use the slow cooker liners to make clean up super easy!  Throw together a quick side or salad and add some white rice and it’s go-time.  Y’all enjoy!

Slow Cooker Beef Tips - Pinterest

Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice
Prep time
Total time
  • 2 pounds beef stew meat
  • 1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (1.61-ounce) packet brown gravy mix (see note)
  • 1 beef bullion cube
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  1. Combine the ingredients in the bowl of a 4-quart slow cooker and mix to combine. Cook covered on low for 7 to 8 hours. Serve over hot white rice.
If you can't find the larger packet of brown gravy mix (one that makes 2 cups of gravy) then you can use two smaller packets.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: About 4 servings

Don't miss a single recipe! Subscribe to my email list.

Read Newer Post
Read Older Post

1. Teresa C. says:

Yum. I am going to make this over the holiday weekend.

2. This looks wonderful, just like you could smell it through the computer monitor! I love making this, but my crock pot seems to cook too high, even on the lowest setting. I like how the meat is still in cubed form and not mushy. This would go wonderfully with mashed potatoes, rolls, green beans and a peach cobbler!!! 😀

• Sounds like a delicious meal to me! I totally understand about the slow cooker thing. I’ve definitely found that spending a little more money on a nicer version is worth the investment. There’s nothing worse that spending the whole day gearing up for a delicious meal and getting home to find your dinner charred and dried out!

3. We are allergic to mushrooms at my house. Whàt is a good substitute?

4. Elizabeth says:

Stacey, this looks so good and easy as well, will be making this very soon like this week.Thanks for your recipes, have your book.

5. I totally hear you about the slow cookers in the summer. I have been painstakingly compiling recipes that will not heat up the kitchen this summer and have added many slow cooker recipes (including now this one) to the list. I also plan on making your slow cooker dressing this summer. My husband is Canadian, and Canadian Thanksgiving doubles with Columbus Day, and we are still scorched in Louisiana in early/mid October. Thanks for posting both!

6. Valerie C. says:

I have used a West Bend slow cooker for years. It has a knob so that you can set it to a lower number for all day or a higher number for the same results in half a day or chicken in a couple of hours. It is a rectangular pot that sits on a base that can also be used a sandwich grill. I never use it like that and all of my family and friends use this brand of slow cooker. Does not heat up the kitchen like a conventional stove. works very well – it is a little pricey but well worth the money as it is quality. You could try the flea market for a second hand one and save money that way. most people do not know what they have when they get one of these.

7. I make this is a pressure cooker…either way it’s fantastic.

8. It’s also good to use red wine in place of the water.

9. Winnie Mom says:

I like to use a crock pot more than I do. In a hurry I will use my pressure cooker. Your recipe is a good starter for making many other dishes such as beef stew. My family likes the addition of celery, peppers and some fresh garlic included. We also prefer wild rice or brown rice instead of the white rice. Seems to have more flavor. Enjoy your recipes and your website.

10. Instead of using stew meat, can I use Top Sirloin?

11. Janene M says:

I made this today and it was excellent! I have made similar recipes but much prefer your recipe. The meat was tender and the gravy was the right consistency. We look forward to having leftovers tomorrow!

I like using my slow cooker in the summer as well. It’s nice not to heat up the kitchen.

12. I have everything but the beef bullion…. if I used a chicken bullion… would it mess up the flavor??

13. To cook this slowly in the oven in a cast iron Dutch oven, what temp do you recommend and what length of time? Thank you!

14. OMG! Thanks for saving dinner tonight! This was great! I just used low fat cream of mushroom and a low sodium gravy packet. I totally forgot about the bouillon base but it turned out well! This will be on the menu more often now that fall and winter will be here soon! Thanks and Aloha!

15. Has anyone tried cooking this recipe on high? If so for how long and how did it turn out? Thanks!

16. I’ve got this cooking in the Crockpot right now. Perfect Football Sunday meal!

17. You said you used venison, can you tell me what cut of meat you used from the venison? My husband and son deer hunt so we usually have plenty of deer meat that I’m always trying to find different recipes for. All I know as far as cuts of meat go is deer steaks and tenderloin, or backstrap. I know people refer to cuts of meat differently though, depending on your area.

• I’ve actually never used venison in this recipe. I think that someone posted a link here and mentioned that. Nonetheless, I think nearly any cut will work fine being that it is slow cooked.

• I made this recipe last night and it turned out amazing! My husband also really enjoyed it!! I have made a lot of similar recipes, this is by far the best! I will definitely be making this recipe often! Thank you!

18. I was wondering if it made enough gravy or could you double the gravy part of the recipe. My family and I could never have too much gravy. I’m gonna make this tomorrow and I can’t wait.

19. I made this using venison stew meat and it was so good. It will be my new go to recipe this winter. I love your website!!

20. Catherine Keller says:

I’ve been looking at this recipe for what seems like forever… it’s cold and rainy (FINALLY!) here in Austin, TX and this is what we’re having for dinner! I found some NO sodium beef bouillon and used some cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic… I can’t wait until it’s done!! Thanks so much, Stacey!

21. I feel stupid for asking but do I mix the brown gravy mix with water first or just pour the over the other crockpot ingredients? I don’t cook much and I’m trying to learn. I looked at comments and didn’t see that info. thanks

22. Does this really only make 4 servings? 1/2 lb of meat per person seems like a lot….

23. I used beef broth instead of beef bullion and 1/2 the water. It was less salty and very good I put it over mashed potatoes. Plus I add extra gravy mix with 1/2 water. Its a very good!!

24. Should I prepare the bouillon (melt in 1 cup of boiling water and gravy 2 cups water) before putting in the crock pot along with the 1 cup of water?

25. Could i put all ingredients in a freezer bag, thaw then put in crockpot…make it into a freezer meal?

26. My son won’t eat anything with onions. Do you think it would be fine omitting the onion?

27. Hi! Do you mix the gravy according to the package directions and pour over or put it in dry? It doesn’t say and I don’t want to mess it up. :) Thanks

28. Kelly Bundy says:

Could i freezer this ahead of time? before cooking?

29. I don’t have a pack of gravy mix & its too late for a store run & I have to be at work early. Any suggestions about a substitute?

30. I didn’t have time to make this in the slow cooker, so I decided to try it in a pot on the stove. It was super easy to do that as well and the flavor was wonderful!!!! Quick and easy to do. Thanks for such a great recipe. I will definitely be checking out your website! Happy to have found you.

31. HI , did you do anything to your meat? or did u just put it right in to the crock pot? i just got the meat out of the freezer to defrost for when i make this tomorrow, if the meat still hard can i defrost in the microwave and then put it in the crock pot?

32. Hi Stacey,
    It’s only me and I have a small crockpot…crockette I think they call them…makes about 2 servings of things…would have to cut the recipe in half….have a jar of Heinz gravy instead of packet…mushroom gravy…1 1/2 cups….so could I just eliminate the soup? and what about beef bullion..? Just basically cut every thing in half or subtract stuff?
    Thanks for any help here…

• You could simply use the meat and the gravy without any other additions. I might add just a little water as the gravy will thicken as it cooks and since it’s already the right thickness, you’d not want it to get gummy.

• Martha Skala says:

GREAT That’s exactly what I’m doing today….added a healthy glob of horseradish and some garlic pepper….we’ll see what I get…I didn’t however sear the meat first….seems like it takes away the point of cooking in crockpot…

• Dinner report is it was REALLY good! Horseradish makes gravy so delicious. I did NOT sear the meat and yet it was moist and tender…HOWEVER….I had an entire pound of stew beef….I’m not a big meat eater but it came out to only one serving of the beef when it was done! Like the meat melted?? Didn’t shred into the gravy as that was nice and smooth but the pound of beef sure didn’t amount to that when it was done cooking! No clue why…this will for sure go into my menu rotation ….regardless of melted or not it was REALLY good!!

33. Stephanie B. says:

I tried this recipe tonight and it was delicious! My meat was tender, the gravy was full of flavor! Thanks so much!! Best i’ve tried yet!

34. How much rice do you use for this recipe?

35. Linda Copeland says:

Stacey, this recipe should have a shrine built around it! It was such a hit my DH could hardly wait for leftovers night from it. Since we are such garlic lovers I added 1 tsp. of Garlic & Herb Perfect Pinch to it when reheating and to us that put it over the top in a catagory all it’s own! Your recipes are so easy to ‘personalize’ to suit individual tastes by adding a spice you love. This one is outstanding for: ease of preparation, for being a slow cooker recipe you don’t have to hover over and for not having a jillion ingredients you have to make a special trip to the grocery store to make it! Kudos and keep them coming my talented friend. :)
    Linda C.

• This comment should have a shrine built around it! I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten a more glowing review. Thanks so much, Linda! I’m so glad y’all have enjoyed it!

36. Nadia Hickerson says:

Hi there, just wanted to say that this recipe is insanely good. I brown my meat in a skillet before I add it to the crockpot (and I double it) and it is to die for! Thanks for the recipe!

37. This was amazing! I have the MOST picky eaters at my house but everyone loved this! It is now a requested meal :)

38. How long would i cook it on high?

39. Pat McKee says:

Hi Stacey,
    I used Lipton dry onion soup mix instead of the gravy packet, and stirred in a little sour cream at the end. It was delicious! Thanks for the dinner idea.

40. I’m making this tomorrow, am I to just drop the boullion cube straight in the crockpot? I’ve never done this so I want to be sure I don’t need to prepare it first. Can’t wait to try it!

41. I tried this last night and it was delicious. I read the reviews from other’s so I was able to tweak it to my liking. First off I put it over mashed potatoes rather than rice. I added more water then the recipe asked for because of the complaints of others saying it was too salty. I also added a half a cup of Cabernet wine. I fried the meat and onion together before putting it in the crock pot. I cooked this in 4 hours on the high setting. I will be making this again soon. This is such a wonderful recipe, thank you for posting

42. Gloria Westerman says:

Thank you so much for this recipe…I’m going to make it tomorrow…..tfs

43. I have 4 of the pickiest eaters on the planet, and I cooked this last night and it was a TOTAL HIT!!!! THIS IS AWESOME AND SO EASY, everyone should enjoy it!! Thanks Stacey……..New meal in this families routine! !!!

44. Aimee Jones says:

I’m not a fan of bouillon cubes, so I’d like to use beef broth. Do you know how much? Could I just substitute the water for the broth?

45. I just made this last night and it is fantastic! So easy and so delicious! Thank you.

46. I made this today for my family for dinner and it was AWESOME! There are very few things that my whole family likes that they consider a “keeper,” but this made the list! The whole family loved it, which is rare. I will put this in my binder as a great weeknight meal.

47. Jeff Adair says:

Made this over the weekend…So, so….good!!

48. Valerie Lunsford-Winbush says:

I am so glad I came across this recipe for beef tips & rice. The dish was absolutely delicious! I followed the instructions and did not tweak the ingredients. The beef was quite tender and the gravy was flavorful. If I had paid attention to the less than positive reviews, I would have missed out on a great meal. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks for sharing, Stacey.

49. I have all of the ingredients except cream of mushroom or celery soup. I do have cream of chicken soup. Wouldthat make it taste weird? I added a can of French onion with beef stock. Can that be a substitute for the cream of mushroom soup?

50. It’s Heather from Hattiesburg again, and I wanted to let you know that I’ve been making this quite often. It’s a super easy, super flavorful recipe and we love, love, love it! I have to make it when our son comes home from Mississippi State–a huge hit with him and his GF. Not to mention that hubs is crazy for it, too. I don’t know what I ever did without you, Stacey!

51. Lorrie G says:

How would you translate this into a freezer meal recipe? Would you through all ingredients into a ziplock bag then just dump in slow cooker when ready to use. I am part of a freezer meal club and I think this would be a big hit.

52. Hi I was wondering if it would taste different without the bullion cube as I do not have that.?

53. I’m looking for something like this to make for our church for dinner day in June. I have to make it in a large quantity. How could I cook the meat and make sure it is tender. We just have small crock pots. It would take several of them. Usually cooking for 70-80 people

54. I found this recipe online and am so glad I did! I am a working momma so any good crockpot recipes I can find are a life saver. I made this yesterday and my husband and teenage boys loved it. This will be a new staple in my home :) I made double the meat and double the gravy (so as to have enough for two nights) and cooked it for 6 hours on low heat. It turned out absolutely delicious and the meat was perfectly tender. Thank you so much for sharing this one!

55. Christina says:

im making this tonight but have to substitute onion for a packet of onion soup mix and beef bullion for beef stock. I hope it still comes out tasty.

56. I have to say that I did not enjoy this recipe. The sauce is really flavorless and I wish I had browned the meat before I cooked it. I used golden mushroom soup and brown gravy with onions and it was still flavorless, I can’t imagine using plain soup and gravy. If I cooked this again I would brown the meat, add wine and garlic and fresh herbs. Beef is so expensive so it sucks that this batch was a loss.

57. I would love to see the ingredient or directions do i need to do something special??

58. Slow cooker beef tips was the bomb! Made tonight for dinner, used creamy of mushroom soup with roasted garlic, a whole shallot diced, a splash of pinot noir, beef broth in place of bouillon cube and water and the gravy packet. Did a quick sear in dry pan of the meat then threw all into my crock pot. Served over egg noodles. I could have licked the bowl. Will make this again and again….Thanks!

59. You said you use your slow cooker so not to heat up the kitchen in the summer. Well I think that is a good idea, but I have found that instead of the kitchen, I put my slow cooker out on my patio where it and the electric cord is out of the way. It works so well I just wonder why I didn’t think of it before. No heat at all and boy does it cook corn beef to perfection!

60. Can I do this in high for 4 hrs instead of doing it on low for 8?

61. Made this twice now and will continue to keep it on the menu rotation. Thanks for the recipe!!

62. Any ideas on what I could use instead of cream of mushroom? My boyfriend is lactose intolerant.

63. Hi! If I want to double the recipe do I just double all the ingredients?

64. Hi. I want to double the recipe. Do I double all the ingredients?

65. Preparing dish and gravy seems a little watery… Any suggestions? Only about 30 minutes left in cook time

• You can always mix about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of cold water and mix it in. It will help to thicken it. All those gravy packets are a little different.

66. I made this last night and a few bites into the meal, my wife tells me “Print this recipe”. We need to make this again. It was so simple to make and absolutely delicious. My gravy came out a little less thick then I hoped for. It didn’t look like the picture. That’s okay, gave me a reason for a slice of bread to sop it up. If you have any suggestions for making the gravy thicker, please let me know. Excellent and easy meal

• Glad you enjoyed it! I’m finding each of those gravy packets can be a little different yielding a different texture gravy. A teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with some cold water then mixed into the gravy and cooked for about 30 minutes should thicken things up. .

67. I made this last night and a few bites into the meal, my wife tells me “Print this recipe”. We need to make this again. It was so simple to make and absolutely delicious. My gravy came out a little less thick then I hoped for. It didn’t look like the picture. That’s okay, gave me a reason for a slice of bread to sop it up. If you have any suggestions for making the gravy thicker, please let me know. Excellent and easy meal

68. This is very similar to a dish I make. I always brown the meat first, which I think helps. Mine always turns out great. I will have to try this.

69. How do you make the gravy thicker in the crock pot.

• You can make a thickener by combining a tablespoon of cornstarch with a couple tablespoons of cold water. Mix that well and then mix it into the gravy. Cook for an additional 30 minutes on high.

70. Do you have to use water? I know the gravy packets call for water, so do you mix it like that then add to pot, or do you just add packet to the pot?

71. Instead of cream of mushroom what else can I use

72. I don’t have bullion cubes since I don’t use them much. Would a packet of the Lipton Beefy Onion dry soup mix in place of the bullion cube and the onion? Thanks!

73. Chrissyboo0 says:

I made this today and it was so flavorful and tender. I browned the beef in a robust olive oil and while that was browning I prepared the gravy as it shows on the packet. I combined everything in the crock pot after the gravy and beef finished. I used a cup of beef broth instead of water and added a teaspoon of garlic. The flavor was amazing and it was so tender. This is definitely a new favorite.

74. Would this still be as good with brown rice?

75. When making this, all you need is the one cup of water? Not the two cups for gravy packet? Just trying to be sure before I mess it up.

76. It was heavenly, my husband eats the backstrap from a deer! All I get to is smell and cook this , tips, and rice! He loved it ! Nanny