But, I guess it’s like they say… “Everything in moderation.” … including moderation. 🙂
One of our local restaurants makes a mean Cajun Chicken Pasta. It’s perfect pasta with a decadent cream sauce, peppers, onions, garlic, and delicious seared chicken with just a hint of heat and TONS of flavor. It’s probably my favorite dish there.
And while it’s pretty easy to make at home, I don’t always have the time or energy to make it straight up from scratch. This shortcut method has all the great flavor, but relies on the convenience of a jarred Alfredo sauce to make it super easy and amazingly quick. But trust me, the end result doesn’t taste like any jarred pasta sauce. I promise. It just works as a delicious conduit for all that great cajun flavor.
So, let’s talk about this seasoning I use. I use this Badia Louisiana Cajun seasoning for several reasons. It’s inexpensive, has great flavor, and isn’t loaded with salt. So many spice blends like this have tons of salt in them. The problem with that, besides the obvious health effects, is that if you use a blend different than what I use and it is one of those with a lot of salt, the measurements in my recipe might result in a dish that’s way too salty. That said, I don’t want you to have to run out and buy this just for this recipe. Though you’re totally welcome to do that. So, if you use something different, just start with less than what I call for in the recipe. When you get to the point where you’re putting it all together and adding the sauce, you can always add more seasoning to the dish then. You can always add more, but it’s gonna real hard to take it out. 🙂
Shortcut Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 (12-ounce) package fettuccini
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning see note
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper seeds removed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 white onion peeled and sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) jar prepared Alfredo sauce
- chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Cook the fettuccini according to the package directions and drain; set aside
- In a medium bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the cajun seasoning to the chicken and stir to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and add additional oil if needed. Add the pepper and onion and cook until just tender. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant - about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan and pour in the Alfredo sauce. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the cajun seasoning. Taste and add salt, pepper, or more cajun seasoning as desired. Add the pasta to the pan and stir to mix well. Serve immediately. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.