Ranch Chicken Cheese Ball is a delicious, savory appetizer packed with chicken, cream cheese, cheddar, ranch, and pecans.
This is an easy recipe that is sure to impress your family and guests. This Ranch Chicken Cheese Ball is probably one of the most requested recipes that I have here on the blog. Of course, as always, I’m happy to share!
One thing I love about this appetizer is that there are so many different directions you can go with a cheese ball… you can make it sweet, savory, or spicy. You can even make it a little bit of all those flavors. With this particular recipe, I’m leading with the savory quality. The chicken makes this a filling appetizer while the pecans, ranch, and cheese flavors make it so delicious you can’t stop snacking away.
How to Serve a Cheese Ball
There are two different ways you can serve this cheese ball or really any cheese ball recipe, in my opinion. Here are a few helpful details regarding each of those techniques:
- As a ball – Obviously the most common way to serve a cheese ball is hinted in the name… as a ball of course! Simply allow your ingredients to get to room temp and mix it all together. After you are done mixing, return the mixture to the fridge to cool. Once cool, place the ingredients in plastic wrap, and start working it into a ball. And, there you have it!
- As a dip – Another way to serve a cheese ball is as a dip. If you don’t want to worry with creating a ball and it staying intact, you can easily just serve it in a dish. Spread all your ingredients in the bottom of a dish after you have mixed them together. If the recipe calls for a topping, like the pecans in this recipe, simply add that to the very top of your ingredients. Enjoy!
Cream cheese – I recommend the full fat cream cheese because that added richness from the fat makes for really great flavor. You could do reduced fat but just go into it knowing it may not turn out quite as rich as this recipe is intended. Also, you want to make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before you start working with it. Cold cream cheese is super hard to mix with other ingredients.
Pecans – Go ahead and grab the chopped pecans. This will save you the time of chopping them yourself, and added bonus, they are usually less costly. For even more flavor, toast the pecans before adding them to the outside of the cheese ball. Yum!
Chicken – Don’t worry about baking chicken and shredding it yourself. Go ahead and grab canned chicken. No one will ever know!
Ranch dressing mix – You can really use any brand of ranch salad dressing mix, but sure do love that Hidden Valley Restaurant Style version.
Mayo – You know what I’m going to say… Duke’s mayo is the way to go. And, you’ll never convince me otherwise. You are absolutely allowed to use a different brand, but Duke’s is always my favorite.
Cheddar cheese – I use finely shredded cheddar cheese. I have also heard of people using Colby Jack and sharp cheddar cheese. I’m sure they taste delicious as well!
More Appetizer Recipes
If you are anything like me, you love appetizers. I mean I love LOVE appetizers. I could make an entire meal out of appetizers. So, if you love this Ranch Chicken Cheese Ball, you will also love some of my other most popular appetizer recipes:
- Deviled Ham – This is a savory mixture of finely chopped ham that can be eaten as a spread, dip, or topping. It’s perfect for leftover ham and with a stack of saltine crackers.
- Canned Biscuit Pretzel Bites – A crowdpleaser, this pretzel bite recipe is a shortcut recipe that uses a can of refrigerated biscuit dough to make warm, crispy, doughy pretzels that taste just like the ones from the mall!
- Crispy Roasted Okra with Creamy Lemon Dressing – If you love okra and you love dip, then you will absolutely love this delicious and fun appetizer.
- Secret Ingredient Fruit Salad – This isn’t just any old fruit salad. This fruit salad recipe features a secret ingredient that sets it apart from any other fruit salad you have ever had.
- Pizza Sausage Balls – A great savory appetizer option, these pizza sausage balls are a favorite on the blog and a favorite in my house! Enjoy!
Ranch Chicken Cheese Ball
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can white meat chicken, well drained
- 1 (1-ounce) packet ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Allow all ingredients to come to room temperature and combine the cream cheese, chicken, ranch dressing mix, mayo, and cheese in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Chill for at least two hours.
- Place a few large sheets of plastic wrap out on the counter. Remove the mixture from refrigerator and place in the center of the plastic wrap. Pull up the edges of the wrap to shape and mold into ball. Coat outside with chopped pecans, pressing lightly to get them to stick. Serve with crackers, chips, veggies, etc.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.