These easy two layer dessert bars combine jarred maraschino cherries, pecans, and coconut atop a shortbread crust that will have your family requesting them again and again! The crunchy top layer and and filling that is reminiscent of pecan pie filling is nothing short of amazing!
The only thing that’s better than just how delicious these Cherry Coconut Pecan Bars are is how easy it is to make them.
The most difficult part of this recipe is making the crust and getting it pressed into the pan. But here are a few tips for making it a little easier…
After mixing the ingredients together for the crust you may ask yourself if you used the correct size pan, lol! Yes, this amount of dough will cover the bottom of the whole 9×13. If you are having a little difficulty getting it spread out, try dropping it in spoonfuls across the bottom of the ungreased pan and then use your hand to press it around the edges. If you find the dough sticky, you can also spritz your fingers or a silicone spatula with nonstick cooking spray and that should make spreading it out a bit easier. But let’s be honest… with this shortbread crust nobody is gonna care if its pretty or not!
The crust bakes for about 25 minutes or until it is just golden brown.
While the crust bakes, you make the filling by simply mixing the sugar, eggs, cornstarch, salt, vanilla, coconut, pecans, and cherries together. When the crust is done, you can immediately pour the filling over it and return it to the oven – albeit at a lower temp. You should reduce the oven temp to 325°F, then bake the bars for about 30 minutes or until the edges are just starting to get golden brown.
Once done let them cool completely. Then slice into squares and serve. As with most stuff like this, it might be a little harder to get that fist piece out, but you shouldn’t have any trouble after that one. Plus that first one needs to be for you to taste anyway. 😂
But I’m serious, these are so easy they will quickly become a family favorite! Y’all enjoy!
Cherry Coconut Pecan Bars
For the shortbread crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Use a mixer to combine the butter, flour, and powdered sugar. Drop the dough by dollops into a metal 9×13-inch baking pan. Press evenly – using hands sprayed with cooking spray if the dough is sticky. Bake for 25 minutes or until just golden brown around the edges.
- While the crust is baking, in large bowl, mix the sugar, eggs, cornstarch, salt, vanilla, coconut, pecans , and cherries together,
- Pour the filling mixture over the hot shortbread crust. Lower the oven temperature to 325° and bake for 30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely before slicing into squares.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.