It’s Super Bowl week and it’s time to get your football-watching spread planned – if you haven’t already. We love to plan out a menu of amazing snacks and appetizers and spread them out on the coffee table to sit back and watch the game – and the commercials! I’ll admit that I’m not a huge NFL fan, but I’ll be happy to support any event that gives me an excuse to devour cheesy deliciousness like this Cheesy Sausage Dip!
My spin on this classic adds cream cheese, garlic powder, and relies on Johnsonville Italian ground sausage as its star. This is the stove top version, but you can make it in a slow cooker as well. Even if you make it stovetop, you can also transfer it to a slow cooker to keep it warm. It’s totally up to you.
To make it, simply brown and crumble the sausage over medium heat. Be sure to allow it to really brown and get that deep brown color – that means flavor. Then drain away any grease.
Return the pan and meat to low heat. Cut the cheese into chunks and add them. Melt the cheeses stirring frequently, being cautious not to scorch.
Stir in the drained tomatoes and chilis, drained corn, and garlic powder. Cook until heated through. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm. Serve alongside some corn chips scoops or tortilla chips.
SLOW COOKER: If you’re going to go the slow cooker route – simply brown the sausage and drain the grease away. Add the meat, cubed cheeses, drained tomatoes and corn, and garlic powder and cover. Put the slow cooker on low heat and stir occasionally until then cheeses have melted. Keep the dip on warm and serve with chips.
- 1 (16-ounce) Johnsonville Italian Sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package processed cheese product (like Velveeta)
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilis (mild or hot), drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet, brown the ground sausage. Drain any grease away. Return the pan with the meat to medium low heat. Cut the cheeses into cubes and add them to the pan. Cook until the cheese have melted, stirring occasionally. Add the drained whole kernel corn, two cans of drained tomatoes and chilis, and garlic powder. Cook until heated through. Transfer to a serving dish or to a slow cooker on warm to keep it warm. Serve alongside corn or tortilla chips.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground sausage. Drain any grease away. Cut the cheeses into cubes. Add the sausage, cheeses, drained whole kernel corn, drained tomatoes with chilis, and garlic powder to the bowl of a slow cooker. Cover and set to low. Cook until the cheese have melted then turn to warm. Serve alongside corn or tortilla chips.
Making This Recipe? Tag us on Instagram: @SouthernBite using the hashtag #SouthernBiteRecipes, so we can see what you are making in the kitchen!
This post is sponsored by Johnsonville, but the thoughts and opinions are all my own… just as always.