There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrate. ~Robert Brault
The other day I posted this quote on the Southern Bite Facebook page and it really struck a chord with a lot of people. So much so that I thought it deserved a more prominent place with the Southern Bite family. The truth is, we do have exactly how ever many celebrations that we choose to have.
Growing up, my Mom did an excellent job making everyday victories seem special. I guess you could say we celebrated a lot. It didn’t have to be anything more than a special snack waiting for me when I got home from school or my favorite dessert after supper; it was just a little something to celebrate a success or victory.
I wasn’t much of a sports kid, but longed for the neat trophies to display in my room like my sports-centered friends had. I even played a season of baseball hoping for a shiny trophy in the end. I guess I just wanted something to show off my accomplishments. And what better to do that than a trophy? Well, each year after the final report card, Mom would head down to the trophy shop and have a trophy made just for me saying “All A Honor Roll” or something like that just so that I had something to show like my friends.
You see, it doesn’t have to be anything huge or elaborate. It’s just important to take the time to acknowledge the little victories in life. I think you might find later on that the little things we’re actually the big ones.
What do you need to be celebrating today?
This Cheesy Corn and Rice Casserole is one of those recipes that always seems to make its way to the table for family gatherings and holidays. I’m not sure what it is about the cheesy goodness that makes it so popular, but it is certainly a favorite with my family.
Savory yellow rice combines with whole kernel corn, cream of chicken soup, butter, and sharp cheddar cheese to create a side dish that’s just as easy as it is delicious!
Cheesy Corn and Rice Casserole
- 1 (5-ounce) packet yellow rice mix
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Combine cooked rice, cream of chicken, corn, and butter; mix well.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven, top with cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted.