When Heather and I first married, she was probably the pickiest eater I knew. And of course this is coming from the guy that will just about eat anything that doesn’t eat him first… except a raw tomato. I know what you’re saying, “How can he be a Southern boy and not like a good ol’ fresh tomato?” I just don’t have an answer for you. I just don’t like ’em. I’ve tried and tried and done everything I know to make myself eat them – but I can’t. Now show me a cooked tomato any day and you’ll be hard pressed to keep me off of it. Okay, now back to Heather… she absolutely refused to eat just about anything that was green or healthy in any way. Well, I’m pleased to say that picky she is no more. In fact, I’ve got the girl eating lettuce, cabbage, green beans, spinach, mushrooms, and a whole lot of other things she would have previously sworn off. The trick, I guess, is knowing how to cook them and I guess all of her previous experiences with those food were bad ones. I’ll take it as a compliment to my cooking. Nonetheless, this recipe was one of her first experiences with something green and from the instant she tasted it, she was hooked. Now, it’s one of my most requested recipes for family gatherings as well as at home. I think Heather could eat it everyday if I made it. One word of warning though, it is NOT good left over like some other slaws, so be sure to gobble it all up.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 pkg chicken flavor ramen noodles, crushed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 -14 oz package classic cole slaw mix
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add crushed ramen noodles (reserving the seasoning packet) and almonds.
- Cook ramen and almonds, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and carefully add sugar, vinegar, oil, soy sauce and ramen seasoning packet. Stir to combine and allow to cool completely.
- Empty cole slaw mix into a large bowl and add chopped green onions.
- Once the ramen almond/mixture is cool, toss with cole slaw mix and serve immediately.