Hey y’all! We sure have been having a stint of BEAUTIFUL weather here in the South! In the 70s nearly every day for the past several weeks. Things are budding out, bulbs are coming up, it’s really starting to seem like spring. To take advantage of the beautiful weather, we spent last Sunday out on my Dad’s land. It was a big day because it was the first time I was able to take my little guy fishing, cooking hot dogs over an open fire, riding on a 4-wheeler, and learning to shoot his Red Ryder BB gun! We squeezed a bunch of firsts into this one! He had a blast, and we had a blast. So nice to get outdoors with family and soak up the sun. I hope you all are able to do start doing that soon!
When we got in Sunday afternoon, we all were tired, but HUNGRY. So I whipped up one of my family favs, Smothered Chicken. I’m not sure what it is about Smothered Chicken that makes people come ‘a runnin’, but it does. And the best part about this recipe is that it’s one of those quick and easy oh-no-I-don’t-know-what-I’m-cooking-for-supper meals. I put this together and had it on the table in less than an hour. Yummy!
- 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can cream of chicken with mushrooms soup (or your other favorite condensed soup)
- 2 cups Italian blend cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked with drippings reserved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper and lightly coat with all purpose flour.
- Lightly brown chicken in bacon drippings (or about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil if you don’t have drippings – I know some of y’all – and I’m not saying any names – use that pre-cooked bacon stuff.)
- Place chicken in greased baking dish and top with sliced onions.
- Combine cream of chicken and mushroom soup with one can of water and pour over chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and top with cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven 5 to 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve over hot white rice.
Easy Smothered Chicken