Hey folks! The first of the Mardi Gras parades have begun and carnival season is upon us. A few weeks back I posted a recipe for a Mardi Gras King Cake that was a little more traditional and quite a bit more involved. This one, though, is super easy and will allow you to put some Mardi Gras color on your table in no time. Using prepackaged cinnamon rolls, this recipe isn’t quite as authentic, but it does the trick and tastes great! It’s great for a fun breakfast too.
I truly love Mardi Gras. There’s just something about folks going crazy over some cheap plastic trinkets that gets me excited. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about bearing any body parts for beads. I’m talking about the more family friendly version of Mardi Gras you’ll see in Mobile or at some of the smaller local parades. We participated last weekend in the parade here in our hometown of Prattville. It’s a relatively new parade that’s only been going on for a few years, but we always find a way to be in it. Folks lined the streets decked out in their Mardi Gras attire with signs, nets, and lawn chairs. We had a blast! One reveler even snapped a few shots of me going by on the parade route and was kind enough to email them to me. Thanks, Jason!I don’t look happy, but I promise I was having a blast! I guess I was focusing intently on getting the beads to the kiddies. (Just so you know – If you’re ever on my parade route, I’m a sucker for toddlers, old folks, and dogs. They always get the most beads from me!)
- 2 – 17.5 cans of jumbo cinnamon rolls with icing (each tube had 5 rolls)
- 2 oz cream cheese
- sugar crystals in purple, gold, and green
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a Bundt or tube pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pop open the cinnamon roll tubes and remove the icing. Then line the bottom with the rolls. You may have to squeeze them in there.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cinnamon rolls are no longer gooey.
- Turn out onto platter to cool.
- In the meantime, mix the two icing packets with 2 ounces of softened cream cheese.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the icing and decorate with alternating sugar colors.
Quick and Easy Mardi Gras King Cake