Back in 2011, a sweet reader named Julie Taylor sent me a recipe for okra fritters. My family and I fell in love. And, of course, I went to tweaking. One version ended up in my cookbook. Today I’m sharing my newest version. And dare I say it… it might be my favorite.
I’ve taken these crispy, delicious morsels and kicked them up a notch. Imagine the best of fried okra and fried green tomatoes in one bite. Simply amazing.
I can see these sprinkled with some cajun seasoning or dipped in some comeback sauce for even more flavor. You know, if that’s your thing. Which it should be your thing. That’s why you’re here, right?
Anyway. Y’all enjoy!
Okra and Green Tomato Fritters
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound okra, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green tomato, diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the chopped okra, green tomato, and onion. In a small bowl lightly beat the egg into the buttermilk, and then add it to the okra mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop the okra batter into the oil by heaping tablespoonsful. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, then flip the fritters and press them flat with the back of a spatula. Cook 4 to 5 more minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Cook in batches, adding more oil if necessary; then drain on paper towels, and serve hot.