This version takes advantage of a boxed cake mix (GASP!) and uses a scaled down version of the icing for the Coconut Cake that’s in my cookbook. Now, if you’re feeling especially adventurous, you can use a scratch white cake mix recipe and just add in the coconut extract and coconut. But I promise, if you use a boxed mix, no one will know.
The result is this dreamy, tender coconut cake with a delicate frosting that’s not too sweet because of the cream cheese in it. I actually think I prefer this one over the layer cake… but don’t tell anyone. 🙂 Y’all enjoy!!
Easy Coconut Sheet Cake
- 1 (16.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- + ingredients to make cake called for on box
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened flake coconut
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flake coconut
- Prepare the cake batter according to the 9x13 directions on the box. Before pouring into the pan, stir in coconut extract and coconut. Mix well, and pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake according to the directions on the box.
- Once the cake has cooled, make the icing by combining the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer until smooth and well blended. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the coconut extract and vanilla extract and mix well. Add a little milk if the icing is too thick or a little more powdered sugar if it seems too thin. Spread the icing evenly over the cooled and and sprinkle with the coconut.