Yes, it’s got a few ingredients and yes, there are a few steps, but one bite and you’ll know that they are all worth it. Seriously. Though the recipe might seem a bit more involved than most of my recipes, each step is really pretty easy. And while boiling some of the ingredients seems weird for lots of folks, it gives the cake a deep, complex flavor that changes the whole thing.
I also love that this is a sheet cake so there’s no worry about staking cakes and icing the sides. And the icing just pours on and you spread to across the top. Easy peasy.
Now, you can turn the cake out of the pan and ice the sides if you wish. I’ve given you the rundown on that in the notes on the recipe.
It’s moist. (Sorry for all you folks who hate that word. Give me another word that means the same thing and I’ll use that one.)
It’s perfectly sweet, but not too sweet.
Oh, and it’s chocolate.
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking pwder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1-pound box powdered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 to 8 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly coat a 13X9" pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, then stir in the cocoa powder, oil, and water. Heat to a boil, then boil for 1 minute. In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix together the eggs buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour the heated mixture over the flour mixture and stir. Add the egg and buttermilk mixture and stir until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before icing.
To make the icing:
- Combine the butter and cocoa in a small saucepan. Cook until the butter is melted completely. Take off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the powdered sugar into a large bowl and pour the hot mixture over the powdered sugar. Stir to combine. Add 1 tablespoon of buttermilk at a time until you get the icing to a pourable consistency, but not too thin. Pour over cake and spread to coat.