This Almond Pound Cake is the collision of two of my most favorite things: pound cake and almond.
I passionately love anything almond. Almond cakes, almond tortes, macarons, almond danishes, amaretto, and just about anything with almond extract.
And there are few desserts that I love more than a perfectly executed pound cake.
But this cake isn’t just about adding almond extract into a boring pound cake. This pound cake it seriously delicious!
It’s got a lighter texture than some of my other pound cakes and has tons of great flavor thanks to 3 sticks of butter.
And if all that almond in the cake itself weren’t enough, we’re gonna go all in and add some almond extract to the glaze AND sprinkle some sliced almonds on the top. It’s like almond-a-palooza up in here! Whew!
Y’all are lucky there was even any of this left for me to photograph. See that big ol’ piece missing in that photo above? Yeah, that was me. And I’m not sorry about it. Not one bit.
Now I get not everyone is as big of a fan of almond extract as I am, so you can certainly scale back on the amount of almond extract in this recipe.
You can even leave it out completely and have a super delicious butter pound cake. I wouldn’t, but you can. I mean, it’s totally up to you, but I would add it. I mean it’s delicious without it, but even more delicious with it. But you can leave it out… (~whispers~ but don’t.)
One thing to note: As with most of my other pound cakes, I call for you to cream the butter and sugar together for 5 minutes in the beginning step. No, that’s not a typo. It’s 5 whole minutes. Just trust me.
Almond Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons almond extract
For the topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 10 to 12-cup bundt pan. Set aside.
- Use a mixer to cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, and mix well after each addiiton. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk to the mixture, alternately. Start with 1/3 of the dry, then half the milk, another 1/3 of the dry, the other 1/2 of the milk, then the remaining dry. Mix well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts. For lots of almond flavor, add 3 teaspoons. For less, only add 2. Mix to combine.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Bake times may vary. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then place a plate or platter over the pan and invert to turn the cake out onto the plate. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cooled pound cake and sprinkle the almonds over the top.