As families, we face many daily challenges. One of them is to get a home cooked meal on the table. We’re dashing from one practice to another. It’s a dance recital here, a ball game there, trips to the grocery store, dentist appointments – moving faster each day. But home cooked meals are important.
They give us an opportunity to sit together as a family to reconnect, to learn what happened in each others’ lives during that day, and to spend quality time together. But home cooked meals don’t have to take all day to prepare. They don’t have to require a ton of exotic ingredients or cost a small fortune either. Home cooked meals can be simple, but still full of flavor. And don’t quickly forget that the connections we make over that meal are far more important than what’s on the table. It’s what’s around the table that matters.
This 30 Minutes Fiesta Chicken Soup is just the type of recipe that let’s us put a home cooked meal on the table without a lot of time or hassle. When I make this, I put the chicken breasts and broth in a slow cooker in the morning and cook on low for about 8 hours. I remove the chicken, shred it, strain the broth, then proceed with the recipe. Slow cooking the chicken ensures it’s tender and makes an even richer broth. All that said, a rotisserie chicken will work just as well. 🙂 Y’all enjoy!
30 Minute Fiesta Chicken Soup
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green bell peppers, drained (I used Green Giant Mexicorn)
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent - about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute - being cautious not to burn it. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add in the chicken, black beans, corn, salsa, rice, seasoned salt, and cumin. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender.