Squash Fritters

Pin this Post on Pinterest Share on Facebook

Squash Fritters

Yellow Squash is a staple in many Southern gardens.  It’s usually pretty easy to grow and rather prolific.  That means that there is usually some extra around.  If you’ve got some extra squash around, you should really try these delicious Squash Fritters.  (Even if you don’t have any extra around, you can usually find it at the grocery store without any problem.)  These are light and crispy and incredibly easy to make.   If the plain version doesn’t suit your fancy, try adding about 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder to give them a kick.  I love them both ways!  Y’all enjoy!IMG_4480-2IMG_4487-2IMG_4488-2Squash Fritters

Squash Fritters

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • vegetable oil

Instructions

Wash the squash then grate them on a box grater. You should end up with about 3 cups of grated squash. Grate the onion as well. Place the grated squash and onion in a mesh strainer and press to squeeze out some of the water.

Place the squash and onion in a large bowl, then add the flour, egg, sugar, and salt and mix until combined. Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add enough oil to barely cover the bottom. Once the oil is hot, carefully place dollops (about 1 heaping tablespoon) of the batter into the skillet. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully flip the fritters over and gently press them flat with the back side of a spatula. Cook another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Cook in batches, adding more oil if necessary, until all of the batter had been used. Drain on paper towels and eat immediately.

Notes

For a different flavor, add about 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder to the batter when mixing it up.

Don't miss a single recipe! Subscribe to my email list.

Read Newer Post
Read Older Post

Comments

1. Gayle Spears says:

Wow! That makes my mouth water! Will definitely be trying this one! Thanks!

2. Debbie k says:

In the pictures, it looks like the squash has not been peeled and the instructions do not say. Do you remove the skin? Either way, this looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

3. Julia Mason says:

Try frying a sliced squash like a green tomato, you won’t believe it it isn’t, a green tomato. My mother used to do this to make my dad think she was cooking green tomatoes since he would not eat squash. I like both so it wasn’t a problem for me.

4. Absolutely mouth-watering! What a way to dress up our friend the squash!

5. Linda Johnson says:

Stacey, have you ever used corn meal instead of flour? When I fry squash, I roll them in corn meal.

6. I love squash cooked any way this really looks. good. I know this will be on my plate this weekend.

7. These fritters look yummy! I love that you used squash since it’s so easy to come by right now.

8. Winnie Mom says:

Just bought some little squash at the farmers market this morning. I like to use yellow and zucchini for these fritters. I will sometimes make up the batter than roll in self rising cornmeal mix for that added crunch. Using both makes them very colorful. Hadn’t thought of making these this year but guess what’s on the table for supper tonight–you are correct — squash fritters.

9. Can you freeze the patties before you cook or can you cook patties and then freezd

10. I’m going to try this tonight, but with eggplant, don’t have squash at the moment.

11. Dean Butts says:

I grew up with my grandmother making squash fritters and this sounds exactly like her recipe. Cannot wait to try them.

12. luvkoalas says:

Thanks for the recipe – I just picked a bunch more summer squash and zucchini – we planted more than we thought – so I”m looking for a change – THANKS!!!

13. Now you just need a recipe for “dilled veal balls”! LOL

It’s from the movie A Knight’s Tale: “Dilled veal balls with squash fritters – I’ll take my five now”!

14. Love these squash fritters! My husband couldn’t leave them alone! They were even great made with zuchinni squash. Quick & Easy.

15. Sounds delish! My kids would like it more with a little cheddar. Would that mess things up?

16. Can you bake them? I don’t care much for fried food.

17. Can you use a food processor to shred the squash (like you do cheese)? I kill my knuckles on box graters….

18. Made these last night. I used cornmeal with a little flour. That were Yummy.

19. Cassi Hinnenkamp says:

Eating these as I type! They are amazing! The curry puts these over the top. Thank you! Oh, I used whole wheat pastry flour and coconut oil.

20. This was DELISH! Thanks for the recipe and keep up the great work!