Grits are probably one of my favorite breakfast foods. I remember eating them as far back as my mind will let me. On cold winter mornings, my Mom would put a bowl of steaming grits with crumbled sausage in front of me to get me that “right start” for the school day. Now, my little guy is a grits fan too. The morning I made these, he ate a whole bowl by his one-year-old self. These are pretty versatile too. I use them with my shrimp and grits and with my chicken cakes. Enjoy!
- 5 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups grits
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring water and salt to boil on medium high heat.
- Add grits slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until desired tenderness and consistency.
- Cut cream cheese into chunks and add into grits with cheese and butter. Stir until well blended.
- You can always eliminate the cheddar cheese for regular grits.
- One of my favorite ways to eat grits is to crumble bacon or sausage in them.