Look at that gooey chocolate deliciousness. There’s no food styling trickery here. This amazingly easy Hot Fudge Cake magically makes its own rich, thick chocolate fudge sauce while it bakes. Seriously. Makes. Its. Own. Hot. Fudge. Sauce. Serve it with a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ve got an AMAZING dessert.
Now, this sweet little dish has been around forever and goes by a handful of names – Chocolate Fudge Cake, Lava Cake, Chocolate Cobbler. But honestly, it doesn’t matter what you call it. ‘Cause my bet is that you’ll call it delicious regardless. Let’s make some…
Gently transfer to a 350°F preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is set in the center. (Note: Because of the fudge sauce the toothpick test won’t really work here.) Allow the cake to set for about 5 minutes before serving. You must serve it warm and you must serve it with ice cream. Trust me.
Hot Fudge Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cup hot tap water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Mix well. Spread the mixture (it will be thick) into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup cocoa powder and brown sugar. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the cake batter. Gently pour the hot water over the cake. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is set. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving, but do serve warm alongside some vanilla ice cream.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.