Y’all, I’m super excited to share this ridiculously easy and amazingly delicious recipe! I’ll admit the flavors even surprised me with this one.
I just love stromboli – the crispy crust, the gooey cheese! There’s a great local joint that makes my absolute favorite! But I’m not always in the mood to go out (or to spend that kind of money). Making this stromboli at home is so easy. The best part is you can customize it with your favorite toppings.In this version, I used pepperoni, Italian sausage, and cheese, but you could use nearly whatever you want – olives, ham, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc, etc. Just keep in mind that the more you add, the longer the cook time will be and you risk the crust getting a bit soggy by adding too many veggies. Do what you wish, though… I’m just warning you. 🙂
It all starts with a can of this THIN CRUST pizza dough. It really needs to be the thin crust kind. Did I mention thin crust? 🙂
Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Yes, this is important because it’ll help you roll it up once everything’s on there. You can also use a silicone baking mat, if you have one. Then open the dough, unroll it, and stretch it thin.
Next, top it with the sauce. I recommend you leave about a 1/2 inch gap around the edges.
Top with pepperoni. See my little photobomber there… 🙂 He just loves helping me in the kitchen. He arranged all of that pepperoni on there all by himself. He told me to tell y’all that. 🙂
Next, add the sausage and whatever other toppings you might like.
Top with the cheese…
And roll it up. Start with one side and use the parchment to help you roll it over…
Then arrange it back in the center of your parchment with the seam side down. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Cut about 5 or 6 small slits in the top to let the steam out and to help get the crust cooked through. Then bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Serve hot with some extra pizza sauce for dipping! And there you have it! Y’all enjoy!
- 1 (11-ounce) can thin crust refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce (plus extra for dipping)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni (about 2.5 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked crumbled ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Open the can of pizza dough and stretch it thin and even on the parchment. Top with sauce, pepperoni, cooked sausage, and mozzarella cheese.
- Starting on one side, carefully roll the dough like a jelly roll. Slide to the middle of the parchment so that the seam is on the bottom. Cut several diagonal slits into the crust. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Served warm with extra sauce for dipping.