And while every family has their take on particular recipes, one of my favorite recipes is this Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese from Southern Living. Of course, I put my own spin on it by using red rind hoop cheese, but it’s great with a sharp cheddar, too.
Hoop cheese is a mild and creamy cheese that used to be incredibly popular across the South. It has a slightly rubbery texture and mild nutty flavor. It’s made with milk only and doesn’t include cream or salt like a farmers cheese.
Even though it’s not as readily available as it once was, many in the South can still find it at locally owned grocery stores, farmers markets, or even the local gas station convenience store. But, again, if you can’t find it, a sharp cheddar will work just fine. Y’all enjoy!
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups shredded hoop cheese
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 400°. Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese until smooth; stir in pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.