I wish there were words for me to describe how excited I am about Christy’s new book, Come Home to Supper: Over 200 Casseroles, Skillets, and Sides (Desserts, Too!) to Feed Your Family with Love. And I’m not just saying this because Christy is one of my most dear friends, this book really is amazing! This little baby is slam packed with recipes, stories, and inspiration and can be found in most places online for a little more than $10! It’s an incredible value.
I got my hands on it last week and read it cover to cover that night. If you don’t know Christy, this book is a great introduction to her, her family, and her food. In her first book, Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family, she shared some of her tried and true family favorites. I actually have two copies of that one. One that’s signed that I keep high on a shelf and one that I cook from – that should tell you something. In this highly anticipated second book, she not only stresses the importance of sitting down for a meal together (y’all know that’s a huge deal with me), but she gives you the tools to do it. There are more than 200 recipes that will help you get supper on the table quickly and easily. This is the food Christy feeds her family. But you know you can’t get away from a Christy Jordan recipe without a little inspiration, and this book is chock full of it. You’ll read this book like a novel and come away from it feeling encouraged and with a full heart. From the Pineapple Cobbler to the Tender Oven-Baked Baby Back Ribs; I really love this book and I know y’all will, too! You might even find a recipe in there from yours truly.
The incredible folks at Workman are going to give one lucky Southern Bite reader their very own copy of Come Home to Supper! Check out the giveaway box below for the details and all the ways to enter.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
In the past few days, I’ve had the opportunity to try several of the amazing recipes in this little gem, and this recipe for Old Fashioned Sticky Chicken is one of my favs. Christy and the Workman have been so gracious to allow me to share this incredible preview recipe with y’all!
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 to 12 chicken legs with skin (3 pounds total)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a Dutch oven or 9- by 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the ketchup, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it comes just to a boil and the brown sugar has dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the chicken legs in the prepared baking dish. Pour the sauce over the chicken, turning the pieces with tongs to coat them.
- Place the baking dish in the oven, uncovered, and bake until cooked through, 90 minutes, turning the legs halfway through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to package directions.
- Place the rice on a platter and arrange the chicken legs on top. Spoon the sauce over all and serve.