This recipe is a tried-and-true Southern favorite. Few potlucks and church suppers are complete with out the addition of some sort of Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This recipe utilizes a well seasoned cast iron skillet and a box of cake mix to produce an easy and beautiful cake that tastes even better than it looks! Y’all enjoy!
- 1 cup butter, divided (2 sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 – 15.25 oz can of pineapple slices in juice, juice reserved
- small jar of maraschino cherries
- 1 – 15.25 oz box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Butter Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- In a well-seasoned, 10.5 inch cast iron skillet, heat 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar over medium heat until butter is melted; stir constantly. Remove from heat.
- Drain pineapple juice into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. Add to cake mix in a large bowl with eggs, and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well; set aside.
- Place drained pineapple rings and maraschino cherries in the bottom of the skillet on top of the melted butter/sugar mixture.
- Top with cake batter.
- Bake in a 325 degrees F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Immediately cover pan with a platter and invert.