The unusual but delicious conglomeration of tangy, sweet pineapple pieces, sharp cheddar cheese, and buttery cracker crumbs satisfies that sweet and salty craving with perfection. And it’s the perfect complement to a Thanksgiving feast or a regular weeknight supper – regardless of whatever else is on the table.
While there are quite a few variations on the recipe out there, this one is our version with a few tweaks to get it just like we like it (that happens after you make something a couple hundred times!) I bet you’ll like it too! Y’all enjoy!
Pineapple Cheese Casserole
- 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed (about 1 3/4 cups crushed) I used Ritz.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Drain the pineapple very well and reserve 6 tablespoons of the juice for the recipe.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and 6 tablespoons of the juice. Add the pineapple and mix well. Pour it into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- In a medium bowl, add the melted butter to the crushed cracker crumbs and stir to coat them in the butter. Sprinkle them evenly over the cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes and then allow the casserole to rest for about 10 minutes and thicken before serving.