A few weeks ago, I had the great privilege of being a participant at the Southern Baking Retreat in Nashville hosted by Martha White and White Lily. You know them both as amazing Southern brands that are staples in many homes, so it’s always an honor to be involved with them. It was a truly amazing experience all the way around. It’s so great to learn all about the brands and stay on top of new products they are launching.
As part of the event, they paired us up and had us create a recipe using Martha White Muffin mixes based on popular country songs. Well, low and behold, who do they pair me up with? None other than my buddy Brandie from over at The Country Cook! Our song was Tim McGraw’s “Meanwhile Back at Mama’s.” Brainstorming immediately brought us to the comfort foods that just taste like home. Sweet Potato Casserole is one of those things for both of us and we thought that it would be perfect starting point and a great way to use Martha White’s new Sweet Potato Muffin Mix. Brandie took the lead and we dreamed up this Mama’s Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting. And y’all, that frosting is AMAZING! Seriously.
This new Sweet Potato Muffin mix has to be one of my favorite Martha White mixes. It’s just so good!
We also took advantage of another great Smucker’s product – their Simple Delight Salted Caramel Topping – to give us that caramely flavor that sweet potato casserole is known for.
So here it is… Delicious, moist sweet potato cake with pecans, topped with the most amazing marshmallow cream butter cream icing, drizzled with salted caramel and topped with more chopped pecans! Each bite is a true taste of home. But seriously… that icing… whew. Brandie and I have been daydreaming of all the other things to put it on. Something tells me that this is not the last time you’ll see icing like that on SouthernBite.com. 🙂 Y’all enjoy!
It seems the Sweet Potato Muffin mix might have been discontinued. Please find my updated version of this recipe here.
Mama's Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 2 packets Martha White Sweet Potato Muffin Mix
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter salted or unsalted, softened to room temp.
- 1 (7.5 oz.) jar marshmallow creme (Marshmallow Fluff)
- 1 cup powdered confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans for topping
- ⅓ cup Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine two packets sweet potato muffin mix with ground cinnamon and salt. Stir well.
- Then stir in milk and sour cream. Once combined, gently stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before making frosting.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a medium bowl on high speed until creamy.
- Add in marshmallow creme and mix well.
- Reduce mixing speed to low and beat in confectioners sugar and vanilla.
- Increase mixing speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Spread frosting onto cooled cake. Sprinkle top with chopped pecans. Then, using a spoon, drizzle salted caramel over the finished cake. Depnding on how large the slices, you should be able to get 9-12 slices of ckae from this recipe.
I’m proud to be a Martha White Ambassador. While the folks from J.M. Smucker’s sponsored this event, the opinions here are all my own… as always. 🙂