So many of the recipes that I share here on SouthernBite.com are family recipes that have been passed down through the generations – recipes that my mother, grandmother, and even great-grandmother prepared for our family. This isn’t one of those. This recipe is brand new. It is the result of a brainstorm a few weeks ago and I’m bringing it here to you in living color today. I LOVE developing new recipes. I love the opportunity to work with some amazing companies like Betty Crocker to develop brand new recipes. But this one here… it is just for y’all.
And y’all… Y’all!! This recipe is crazy delicious. Crazy. Delicious. If I could come up with some other one word sentences to use for emphasis, I would. It’s easy, too. You know that easy is kinda my signature. I just know y’all will love it as much as we do! Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Chicken Stuffed Shells
- 1 (12-ounce) box jumbo pasta shells
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
- 1 (24-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce OR 3 cups Stacey's Basic Marinara
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. You'll want it to be al dente. (You'll need about 24 shells. I say this because some will be broken when you open the box and others will be damaged during cooking.) Drain them and rinse them in cool water. Set aside.
- Combine the chicken, spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese in a large bowl.
- Spread about half of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Stuff the chicken filling into the shells. (I used a generous heaping tablespoon of filling in each one.) Then place the stuffed shells on top of the sauce in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Cover the dish (either with a lid or foil) and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, remove the top, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the shells. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.