One-Pot Red Beans and Rice

Pin this Post on Pinterest Share on Facebook

Red Beans and RiceRed Beans and RiceThings are about to get crazy around these parts!  It’s hard to believe that the near 18 month journey is about to culminate in the release of my first cookbook.  I’ve seen the finished product and it is absolutely gorgeous.  I couldn’t be happier with it.  Honestly.  The photography (from by my dear friend Kim Box) is unbelievable.  The hand lettered cover (by the team at Juice Box Designs) is amazing.  And I hope that you find the recipes inside just as tasty as the book is beautiful.  I put so much of myself in this book and I just can’t wait to share it with y’all.  It’s a bit scary, too.  I know there will be criticism – we all can’t see things the exact same way.  And I know there will be those negative reviews out there.  But sharing my food with the world is my dream and all of this “stuff” is just part of it.  And none of this would have been possible without the absolutely amazing folks at Thomas Nelson and Nelson Books.  I never could have imagined a better group of folks to work with.  What started as a business relationship has ended in friendship.  Who could ask for more than that?

Only 14 days left to pre-order.  And trust me… if you want to get a copy, you should pre-order.  Seriously.  Pre-order.  You’ll know why in just a few days.  It’s exciting.  I promise.

With Mardi Gras season in full swing, I wanted to share another one of my favorite creole/cajun recipes.   This quick and easy Red Beans and Rice is ready in less than an hour and has all the great flavor of the slow cooked variety.  The best part is it’s all done in one pot!  I don’t know about you, but those types of recipes that don’t dirty up everything in the kitchen are my absolute favorites.  Y’all enjoy!

Red Beans and Rice 2

One-Pot Red Beans and Rice

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: Serves about 6
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 pound cajun smoked sausage (andouille) or other smoked sausage, sliced into ½-inch pieces
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 rib celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2½ cups chicken broth
  • 2 (15.5-ounce) cans red beans (or red kidney beans), drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups of instant rice
  • creole seasoning
Instructions
  1. Add the vegetable oil to a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook 7 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the beans and rice. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add creole seasoning to taste. Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Red Beans and Rice - Pinterest

Don't miss a single recipe! Subscribe to my email list.

Read Newer Post
Read Older Post

Comments

1. Debbie Caraballo says:

mmmmm MMMM!! Delicious! Thanks Stacey!

2. This sounds delicious! And, I am looking forward to your cookbook!

3. Could you use brown rice for this? I guess you would have to just cook it longer?

4. This looks so yummy and easy to prepare. I’m making this tonight!

5. Just found you via Facebook. This looks wonderful. It’s a rainy day here in Southern California, so I’m making it tonight! Thank you!

6. Eleanor says:

I’m making this tonight for the second time in less than a week – at my husband’s request. It is so good, and so simple, and comes together in a hurry!

7. Do u have to use a Dutch oven? Or can I just use a large pot? Want to make this, but don’t own a Dutch oven.

8. lorraine baldwin says:

Had this for dinner tonight and was absolutely delicious!!. Will be making this again and thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes.!!!

9. I made this for supper today, and it’s amazing! It’s the first of your recipes I’ve tried since I’m new to your blog thanks to Pinterest, and I’m so very glad to have found you!

10. Is this meal freezer friendly? If so, cooked or uncooked?

11. Michelle W. says:

I found this recipe tonight while Googling “one pot red beans and rice”. I have toddlers and look for recipes that are easy to make, use simple/on-hand ingredients and taste fantastic. I’m happy to report this was all three. It was so successful I’m buying your cook book (a rarity in these days of unlimited food blogs). I would love to rave more but my little ones are screaming for seconds.

• Michelle, that just thrills me to no end! I’m so glad you found the recipe and that it turned out so great for you! Thanks too for getting the book! I sure do appreciate the support! Anytime you want to rave, you just let me know. :)

12. It was very tasty, I added a tiny bit of tomato sauce to mine.

13. I love your cook book! I havent tried anything yet but tonite im going to try the cheesy rice and corn! I will also be trying the one pot red beans and rice soon! If yall dont have Stacys cookbook yet, run, and i mean really run, and get it!!

14. Rachael Shumate says:

I can’t even imagine using instant rice! Having lived in Japan and eating “real” rice every day, I want you to know there is a definite difference in both taste and texture. I have a rice cooker, so would cook real rice and add it to everything else. Great inexpensive rice cookers at Amazon.com. Thanks, Stacey, from a Southern (Texas) gal!

15. This was delicious! It was so easy! I will be making it again! I improvised on the creole seasoning. Do you have a recipe for creole seasoning?

16. YUMMO! I just made this in no time, and it’s cozy and spicy and yummy! I used Penzey’s “Cajun” spice and smoked andouille chicken sausage. Perfect one-pot dish for a rainy night in VA.

17. Virginia Moore says:

This sounds delicious – except for one thing. You are really using instant rice in this? Really? I think of it as imitation rice and the real thing does not take long to cook, so why go for the tasteless stuff? I’ll try to substitute Uncle Ben’s for the instant stuff.

• Yep! Feel free to make whatever substitution you like, but this is the way I do it. Instant rice is simply regular cooked rice that has been cooked and dehydrated.

18. This looks SO GOOD! Just wanted to let you know I included it in my round-up of one pot recipes. I’d also love if you submitted this recipe in our contest to win a Swiss Diamond cookware set! http://ow.ly/AOCzs

Thanks again for the great recipe. :)

19. I’m at a complete loss on how much creole seasoning to use. Can you suggest a starting amount?

Thanks!

20. I made this tonight and we all loved it! My dad lives with us and can not eat anything spicy so I did not use the creole seasoning. Hubby wanted a little spicy-ness so we added a bit of rotel to it. It is definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks so much. P.S. I used regular white rice instead of instant– it took a bit more moisture but turned out GREAT.

Trackbacks