This is truly the BEST Key Lime Pie recipe – 6 simple ingredients and full of delicious flavor. Key Lime Pie is the perfect, light, and refreshing dessert.
Key Lime Pie is one of those simple pleasures in life that I just love. It’s probably one of my most favorite pies. And to say that I’ve eaten a lot of Key Lime Pie is an understatement. I’ve eaten it in all forms and all over the place, but I can honestly say this recipe is my absolute favorite. I don’t take calling something “THE BEST” lightly… so this is truly The BEST Key Lime Pie.
You know, Key Lime Pie is one of those recipes that I feel like a lot of people are intimidated by, but I’ve made it SO easy for you here! In fact, you can get this one on the table with as few as 6 ingredients… seriously.
Do I have to use eggs in my Key Lime Pie?
A more authentic Key Lime Pie calls for egg yolks, but I find that leaving them out and adding sour cream produces a smoother and creamier pie that we just love. I actually made both versions and served them to the family and everyone picked this version with the sour cream as the best. Just try it and you’ll see what I mean!
What is a substitute for key lime juice in key lime pie?
What makes this a KEY Lime Pie are the Key Limes. They’re not your standard Persian lime. The flavor is a bit different, and they are much smaller. That means it will take a lot more to get the juice you’ll need for this pie. It took me about 20 Key Limes to get 3/4 cup of juice, but could take a few more.
Now, you are welcome to use regular lime juice or even use bottled Key Lime juice, just know it will affect the flavor. This is also a case where fresh is best.
You may also substitute a combination of lemon and lime juice for a closer variation of key lime juice. Simply use 1/2 fresh lemon juice with 1/2 fresh lime juice for a key lime juice substitute.
Tips for your Key Lime Pie crust:
- Store-bought is fine! If you’ve been around here any time at all, then you know I’m all about using shortcuts to make meal prep easy and less time-consuming, so using a pre-made graham cracker pie crust is perfectly fine here.
- Deep dish is best! Try to get or make a deep dish pie crust, if possible. Otherwise, all the filling may not fit. And, no one wants to miss out on any of that creamy goodness.
- You can make your own very easily! Making a homemade crust is easy! If you want to make one from scratch, you can follow my very simple recipe below on how to make a homemade graham cracker crust.
The BEST Key Lime Pie
- 1 (9-inch) deep dish prepared graham cracker crust
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and sour cream. Once smooth, add the lime juice. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Pour into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.* Cool on the counter, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Once ready to serve, beat the cream and powdered sugar together until you get stiff peaks. Top the pie with the whipped cream and serve.
If nutritional values are provided, they are an estimate and will vary depending on the brands used. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, I recommend grabbing your favorite brands and plugging those ingredients into an online nutritional calculator.