Best Strawberry Sheet Cake
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 10 to 12 servings
For the cake:
- 1 (16-ounce) container fresh strawberries
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry flavored instant gelatin (I used Jell-O)
For the icing:
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon strawberry flavored instant gelatin reserved from cake
- 2 tablespoons strawberry puree
For the cake:
Wash and hull the strawberries and gently puree them in a food processor, blender, or with a hand (stick) blender. You want them to be good and chopped up but not all liquid. You will need 1 cup of this puree for the cake and 2 tablespoons for the icing. This should make more puree than you need. However, if it doesn't, pour the puree into a measuring cup and add just enough water to make 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons.
Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly spray a 9X13 baking pan (or dish) with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl with a hand mixer (or in a stand mixer), mix together the cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until well combined. Open the gelatin and measure out 1 teaspoon into a small bowl and set aside for use in the icing. Pour the remainder of the gelatin and 1 cup of the strawberry puree into the batter and mix well.
Pour the mix into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.