When my wife and I were dating, one of the first meals she cooked for me was on Valentine’s Day. It was an amazing meal of meatloaf and mashed potatoes and was followed up by brownies with chocolate icing. To this day, we still talk about those brownies. So, when it was time to come up with a Valentine’s Day recipe, I was reminded of those brownies and decided to share. For these, I’m sharing my Scratch Brownies recipe from my cookbook. They are super easy and one sweet reader even messaged me to let me know that they’ll never use another brownie mix again after trying them! That’s quite the compliment. And don’t be intimidated about the ganache. It sounds complicated but it’s as easy as stirring things together… I promise! And it really puts these brownies over the top.
Now, after my brownies cooled completely, I flipped them out onto some wax paper and cut them out with the same heart-shaped cookie cutter that Heather used all those years ago, but it’s certainly not required. You can leave them in the pan and simply spread the ganache over the top if you want the standard square brownies. I was just being nostalgic with these. 🙂
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, melted
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces (by weight) semi sweet chocolate chips (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder. Add the vanilla and eggs, and mix well. Stir in the flour, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread the batter into the baking dish, and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- Pour the cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until steaming. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until the chocolate chips have melted. Stir well to combine. Stir in the butter until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow the ganache to thicken, then spread on top of the brownies.