When my wife and I were dating, Heather always enjoyed when my Mom would make Potato Soup and Top to Bottom Ham and Cheese Bread. Only back then, we had no idea what Top to Bottom Ham and Cheese Bread was. Heck, I don’t even remember what we called it back then. It was just that “ham-bread-stuff” that Mom makes with Potato Soup. Heather wasn’t satisfied with it not having a name and so one night during a dream, it came to her. Now I have no idea where it came from or how she got that name for it, but you know it’s gotta be good if she was dreaming about it.
Now that the weather is getting cooler, this is a perfect weekend supper since it does take a little time to make the soup. If you’re in a hurry though, you can bake the potatoes in the microwave rather than the oven to cut out a big chunk of time.
- 10 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 – 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 5 cups milk
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake 5 of the potatoes. We typically do it in the microwave to save time and it seems to work perfectly, but you can do them in the oven if you prefer.
- Peel the other 5 potatoes and dice them roughly.
- Chop the onion.
- Combine the diced raw potatoes and chopped onion with 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 2 cans of chicken broth in a large stock pot.
- Simmer until potatoes are done.
- Once the potatoes are soft, mash everything in the stock pot together with a potato masher.
- Add 1 can of cheddar cheese soup, 8 oz sour cream, 1 stick of butter and 5 cups of milk.
- Stir to combine and heat through.
- Peel and roughly chop the baked potatoes and add them to the soup along with 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Top with chopped green onions, more cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon if desired.
Top to Bottom Ham and Cheese Bread
- 2 loaves crusty french bread
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayo
- 9 oz (roughly) thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Cut the loaves of bread in half lengthwise as if you’re going to make a sandwich.
- Combine the 1 cup mayo and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl and spread on both side of both loaves of bread.
- Place thinly sliced onion and ham in each sandwich to your liking.
- Wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil and and bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted and the sandwiches are heated throughout.