It’s time to warm your skillet, pull out your recipes, and put your thinking cap on! The National Cornbread Cook-Off is in full swing and accepting entries! The folks at Martha White® are looking for amazing home cooks to submit an original main dish recipe prepared with at least one package of Martha White Cornbread Mix and cooked in Lodge® Cast Iron cookware. Ten finalists will be selected to compete during the National Cornbread Festival® on April 26, 2014 in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. And guess who’s going to be a judge at that National Cornbread Festival?? Why yours truly, of course!! I’ll be there with some of my other favorite people like Christy from Southern Plate and Brandie from The Country Cook.
Along with the coveted cast iron skillet crown, the Cook-Off champion will receive a $5,000 cash prize and a 30-inch stainless steel gas range (a $3,250 value) from FiveStar® Professional Cooking Equipment, a division of Brown Stove Works, Inc., and special gifts from Martha White and Lodge® Cast Iron. The second prize winner will receive $1,500 and the third prize winner will receive $1,000. The remaining seven finalists will walk away with $150 and all finalists will receive a $500 travel reimbursement and a gift basket courtesy of Martha White and Lodge® Cast Iron. For complete details, Official Rules and to complete the entry form for the contest, visit MarthaWhite.com.
The folks at Martha White and Lodge Cast Iron are giving away a cast iron cornstick pan and 3 packages of delicious cornbread mixes to celebrate! See the entry box below for details!a Rafflecopter giveaway
I’m celebrating by sharing one of my most favorite cornbread recipes… My Mom’s Mexican Cornbread. With the ground beef and veggies, it’s a great meal all by itself, but it complements other dishes so well. The recipe calls for sliced jalapenos, but if heat isn’t your thing, you can always leave those out. Mom always did that when I was a kid and the cornbread is just as delicious!
But I’m not the only one celebrating! Check out all these amazing recipes from some of the best bloggers in the country in this year’s Martha White Cornbread Virtual Potluck!
Add a Pinch: Tomato Basil Soup with Cornbread Croutons
Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen: Cornbread and Sausage Quiche
Mississippi Kitchen: Cheeseburger Stuffed Cornbread
Mommy’s Kitchen: Chili Cornbread Skillet
Southern Bite: Mom’s Mexican Cornbread
Southern Plate: Red Beans and Cornbread
Sugar & Spice by Celeste: Buffalo Chicken Cornbread with Blue Cheese Salad
Syrup & Biscuits: Peachy BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Skillet
The Country Cook: White Chicken Chili with Cornbread Dumplings
Southern Pantry: Monte Cristo Cornbread Skillet
- ½ pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can cream style corn
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapenos, drained (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add the vegetable oil to the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
- While the oven and skillet preheat, brown the ground beef then drain the grease away.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, buttermilk, cream style corn, and beaten eggs until well mixed.
- Once the skillet is hot (a pinch of cornmeal sprinkled in the skillet will sizzle when it's ready), pour half of the batter into the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle the ground beef, chopped onion, and jalapenos over the batter. (The jalapenos are optional and the cornbread is just as tasty without them. Mom always made it without them when I was a kid.) Sprinkle the cheese over the other ingredients then top with other half of the batter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cornbread to cool slightly in the pan before flipping out onto a serving plate.