I’m heading into the home stretch with my manuscript and due to turn it in next week. It’s all happening a lot more quickly than I ever expected. The March 2014 release still seems like it’s decades away, but I know it’ll be here before I know it based solely on how quickly this manuscript deadline arrived.
I’ve got another great blogger here to share with you today. If you’re not following Donya at A Southern Soul, you certainly should be! She’s sharing some great food over that way. I’ve not known her for long, but already know that she’s good people. Y’all also jump over to her Facebook page and show her some love from the Southern Bite family and make her feel welcomed. I am so grateful to her and her willingness to take the reigns. Take it away, Donya…Well, I’ve got to say it straight up y’all, I am just beside myself with excitement that Stacey invited me to be a guest writer today! As you know, he’s been so busy with his new cookbook and then had unexpected surgery. I am honored he asked for a “stand-in” and hope you enjoy hanging out with me today.
Springtime has finally arrived along with warmer weather. Those two things make me think of cooking outdoors and fresh salads. With those thoughts in mind, I combined several delicious ingredients that my family loves – grilled shrimp, bacon, and spinach. I turned these three into a wonderful salad that makes a complete meal. Just add a little crusty bread and you are done!
I wanted to share this recipe with you today because of this – Stacey and I have never met in person. We’ve become friends via our blogs, our love of food and our love of where we’re from. Which got me to thinking…that if we lived closer to each other, I have the feeling that we’d be sitting on my back porch, enjoying this salad, taking in the sunshine and sharing great stories of food and family. Thanks, friend…
- 8 cups fresh, washed baby spinach, dried really well
- 1lb. of fresh, peeled and deveined shrimp, grilled
- 3 boiled eggs, sliced
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- ½ red onion, sliced very thin
- Warm Bacon Dressing
- 1lb. of fresh, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar – you can substitute cider vinegar if needed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place grill pan on grill and set burners to high. Sprinkle shrimp with Old Bay seasoning and toss to coat. Place shrimp on grill pan. Grill shrimp 2-3 minutes per side. They will be firm and white when fully cooked-check often, being careful not to overcook.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, honey and mustard. Heat bacon drippings in sauce pan on low. When drippings are warm, slowly pour in the vinegar mixture. Whisk all ingredients together until mixed well. Keep whisking on low temp til the dressing is emulsified.
- Place spinach on large platter. Arrange the grilled shrimp,crumbled bacon, and onion on top of greens. Gently drizzle with warm dressing. Add egg slices. Toss gently to serve.
I hope you all will give this salad a try and stop by to hang out with me at A Southern Soul.
Counting my blessings,