I’m not sure what it is about Fall and caramel corn, but they certainly go hand-in-hand in my book. Maybe it’s all the Fall festival and fairs that serve it. Regardless, it’s one of my favorite cool weather sweet treats. And nothing beats it when it’s fresh! Here’s a very simple recipe for a sweet and salty caramel corn that I just love. If you love that sweet and salty combo thing, this is certainly for you! In fact, it’s affectionately earned the term “crack corn” at our house because it’s so addictive. Y’all enjoy!!
- 3 quarts plain popped popcorn (about 1/2 cup unpopped kernels)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a sauce pan, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted. Once, mixture has reached the boiling point, allow to boil for 5 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- With the popcorn in a very large bowl, drizzle hot caramel over the popcorn. Carefully stir to coat.
- Arrange popcorn onto two large greased baking sheets and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. After an hour, remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Â© Copyright 2009-2012 – Southern Bite – All Rights Reserved – All Content Protected By Federal Copyright Laws