This is my simplified Southern version of something I love to order in fancy restaurants, but just don’t feel like tackling at home. The great thing about this recipe is its versatility. You can swap some of the veggies out for eggplant, add mushrooms, just whatever might strike your fancy. I also like to add a little grated Parmesan to the top of mine. Y’all enjoy!!
- 2 tablespoons olive/vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lb yellow summer squash
- 1/2 lb zucchini
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- Coarsely chop onion. Half squash and zucchini and slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Peel and mince garlic, add to pot. Saute 1 minute.
- Add squash, zuchinni, and canned tomatoes with juice. Salt and and pepper to taste.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until squash reaches desired tenderness. Add chopped basil and serve.