Strawberry Cobbler

Pin this Post on Pinterest Share on Facebook

I’ve gotten so caught up in day-to-day life that I seem to have become more focused on the getting things done rather than taking the time to really SEE things.  You know what I mean – getting up, getting breakfast, getting ready for work, getting the kids to school, getting to work, getting your work done, getting home, getting dinner ready, getting the kids to bed, getting to bed yourself so you can get up and get to getting the next day.  I’ve been so busy getting, that I failed to realize the last few baby things in our house were almost gone.  Sure the diapers, bottles, and cribs have been long gone, but realizing the baby monitors were still up made me see that the baby era is quickly fleeting.  It’s a hard pill to swallow realizing my baby is now 3 and referring to himself as a “big boy.”  He does “big boy” things like brushing his own teeth and putting his dirty clothes in the hamper.  It’s all made me realize we all need to work harder at SEEING and focus less on the getting things done.  Time is passing us by quickly without any reverence for our lives.  It doesn’t pay attention to what we’ve got going on.  We’ve got to stop waiting for things to happen and just MAKE them happen.

Monday night we were sitting at the table eating dinner when a light rain came up.  Looking out into the rain, I realized that my kid had no idea what it was like to play in the rain.  I grabbed the opportunity to snatch him up and run out and play in the rain with him.  We played until the sun went down.  I hope I can burn that time in my memory so that I can remember every detail – what he was wearing, the way he laughed, the look in his eyes.  I’m so glad I took the time to do that and to be a little silly with him.  I know that I will have other opportunities like this, if I make time for them.  But I also know that as the years pass, those opportunities will grow fewer.  I just hope I have the wisdom to SEE these types of opportunities when they present themselves…

Y’all this is probably my favorite cobbler recipe.  And I’ll admit that it’s pretty sweet, that’s why it’s good to cut the sweet with a little vanilla ice cream. ~snickers~

Ingredients

• 1 lb fresh strawberries
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 stick plus 1/2 stick), divided
  • 1 cup brown sugar

Instructions

1. Wash and slice strawberries, discarding tops.
  2. Combine strawberries, orange juice, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium pot and heat until sugar is completely dissolved.  Pour into a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
  3. In another bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut together.  (I used a pastry blender, but a large fork will work fine, too.) Spread on top of strawberries.
  4. Soften 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick) and mix with 1 cup brown sugar.  Drop into dollops on top of flour mixture.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until golden and bubbly.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Strawberry Cobbler

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Strawberry Cobbler

Ingredients

• 1 lb fresh strawberries
  • 3 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 stick plus 1/2 stick), divided
  • 1 cup brown sugar

Instructions

Wash and slice strawberries, discarding tops.

Combine strawberries, orange juice, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium pot and heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour into a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.

In another bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut together. ( I used a pastry blender, but a large fork will work fine, too.) Spread on top of strawberries.

Soften 1/2 butter (1/2 stick) and mix with 1 cup brown sugar. Drop into dollops on top of flour mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour, or until golden and bubbly. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Don't miss a single recipe! Subscribe to my email list.

Read Newer Post
Read Older Post

Comments

1. Kathryne says:

thanks for the strawberry cobbler recipe. I made this years ago.

Do not get rid of your baby monitors. They are good to listen for washers and/or dryers being ready if you do are not close by. Very handy for me since mine are in the basement.

Also handy if someone may be ill and you can hear them from another room. My daughter used it when I had my surgery. Worked great.

Have a great day!!

2. Martha Furr says:

This sounds delicious! I’ll have to make it for my strawberry-loving son when he gets home from college. Some of my best childhood memories involve fresh blackberry cobbler made by my mother (blackberries picked by me)!

3. Marylyn says:

Oh, my goodness this looks so good and I am not sure I have ever had a strawberry cobbler. I am going shopping on Friday and will make this for my own Mother’s Day treat this weekend.
    Also, just wanted to tell you that I use and use and use the neat bowls that I won last year. The ones with the measurements inside the bowl. Today I mixed bran muffins in one of them. In went the flour to the two cup level, then the bran to the 3 1/2 cup level (I’ve learned to eyeball that half cup mark) and was thinking again how lucky I felt when I learned I had won them and what fun when they arrived at my doorstep. so thank you again — for the bowls and all the neat recipes, too.

4. I love that story….You are a great daddy and I am so proud of you. Remember when you and I played in the rain :)

• Thanks, Mom! I remember several times playing in the rain with you! So many of those treasured memories are the inspiration for fun time with Jack. I want him to have the same experiences I did! I love ya!

5. Winnie Mom says:

This strawberry cobbler looks delish! Only thing to make it a little better would be to use 1/2 strawberries and 1/2 rhubarb. Love a strawberry rhubarb pie but this would be much easier. Thanks for the recipes that use everyday ingredients.

• That sounds great! Thanks! I’m not a big fan of fussy recipes and try my best to show that here on the blog.

• Virginia Edwards says:

Think I could use Splendar instead of sugar in the Strawberry Cobbler recipe?

• With the strawberries, it should be fine. But I’m not sure about the brown sugar topping. I know that they had Splenda Brown Sugar, but I’ve not sued it so I’m not exactly sure how it would work for the topping. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

6. I love all things strawberry and all things cobbler. Hello!

7. I still have hand picked summer fruit in the freezer and been wondering what I could do with it. This is a really great idea. Now frozen fruit is different from fresh because there is more water in it from freezing. But I don’t mind the extra syrup made from baking.

8. Just a few hours ago, I was remembering where I had eaten my first strawberry cobbler, never having heard of it until that day. They are soooooo delicious.

9. My goodness Stacey this cobbler is amazing. My husband ate the hold thing with a big bowl of Blue bell homemade vanilla ice cream. He said it was better than his mama. Lol. She uses the pie crust with hers. Then I glided a picture to my daughters while it was still bubbling in the oven. They said “mouth watering” we enjoyed it sweet yet simple.

10. Pam Elkin says:

Great advice!! It really makes me stop and think. Time does go by so quickly. Taking time for those precious, simple moments is so, so important!

This recipe sounds delicious. Will try soon.

11. Pam Elkin says:

PS I love your cookbook!!!!

12. Can I use fresh blueberries rather than strawberries? A friend gave me a huge bag of blueberries she picked from her yard but wasn’t sure what I wanted to make. If so are there any other changes I would need make to the recipe? This recipe looks wonderful and would love to try it this weekend.