I’m not sure what it is about the holidays and red velvet, but they just seem to go together. No holiday celebration is complete without my Mom’s red velvet cake with that yummy cream cheese icing and pecans. This is a fun little spin on red velvet that uses a cake mix. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t want a little shortcut around the holidays… right?? You can also use a devil’s food cake mix for a more traditional whoopie pie.
- 1 – 18.25 ox box of red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil. Mix well.
- Scoop out onto a parchment lined baking sheet in equal portions. Spread batter with the back of a spoon into a circle.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, or until batter is fully set. Remove from oven and cool.
- In another bowl, combine shortening, powdered sugar, marshmallow fluff, and vanilla and almond extracts with a mixer until combined.
- Remove cakes from parchment and try to match them with another one that is similar in size.
- Spoon or pipe filling mixture onto one side of cake, sandwich and enjoy! You can also roll them in something fun like crushed candy canes or mini chocolate chips for color and variation.