I’ve told y’all how much I love being in the kitchen with my Mom. There’s just something about now knowing about all the love that goes into preparing a meal for your family and being in her kitchen watching her put that love into her food. Well, when she told me last week that she was making stuffed cabbage, I grabbed the camera and ran over to her house so I could bring the goodness to y’all. This is another one of those childhood favorites of mine. I know you all will enjoy it just as much as I do!
- head of cabbage
- 2.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 large bottle V8 Juice
- Remove and wash 7 or 8 of the larger cabbage leaves. Then blanch leaves in salted boiling water 5 to 10 minutes or until soft and pliable, but not soft enough to easily tear.
- Meanwhile combine ground beef, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, beaten egg and roll into large oval shaped balls. We used about 3/4 to 1 cup per serving.
- Place the meatball at the base of the leaf near the stem and roll up, tucking the edges in as you go. Repeat until you’ve used all of the meat.
- Place the stuffed cabbage in a large pan with a lid and nearly cover with V8 juice. Simmer covered 45 mins to 1 hour, or until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked through.