I just love it when you all share recipes with me! I love checking my email to find a new family favorite that’s probably been passed down through the generations. One such recipe is this one for okra fritters. This recipe came to me from one of our cookbook winners, Julie Taylor. When she received her cookbook, she sent me a thank you note and this delicious recipe. My wife and Mom just loved it! I know you will too!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra cut in circles (coarsely)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in heavy skillet, just enough to cover the bottom of the skillet good. In bowl mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Coarsely chop okra.
- Add onion and okra toss to coat.
- In small bowl mix together egg and buttermilk and add to okra mixture and stir just until combined.
- Drop batter in med hot skillet in about 1/4 cup mound and then flatten the okra mound with a spatula and fry until golden brown. Usually takes about 4 to 5 minutes per side, if browning to quickly may need to lower the heat, turn only once.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with a little salt. Makes about ten fritters. Can dip in a dipping sauce of your choice.